Spiced Elixir Drink
DECEMBER 1, 2016 by OLIVIA NEELY, RDN, LD
It’s that time of year again when having something warm to sip on is a necessity. Below is a recipe that has been my favorite go-to this week. Not only does it satisfy the need for something warm but it is full of healthy fats, anti-inflammatory herbs and satisfying spice. The recipe makes two servings to go ahead and whip it up for you and a friend (or two for yourself – morning and evening!)
Ingredients for the base
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tea bag Dragon Herbs Spring Dragon Tea blend or herbal tea of choice
- small nub of fresh ginger (size is all dependent on how much you like ginger)
Ingredients for the Elixir
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk or nut milk of choice
- 2 cinnamon sticks or 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 2 whole cardamom pods or 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of allspice
- pinch of sea salt
- 5-8 drops of liquid stevia or raw honey to taste
- OPTIONAL: add in a scoop of Vital Proteins gelatin for some protein and gut-healing amino acids
- To make the base place the tea bag and sliced ginger into a teacup and add two cups of water. Allow to steep for 10-15 minutes. Remove the tea bag but keep in ginger in.
- To make the elixir simmer 1 cup coconut milk with the spices for 5-10 minutes. Remove cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods and star anise if using.
- Combine your tea base (with the ginger in it) and you spicy coconut milk in a blender and blend until smooth and frothy. Add the stevia or honey to taste and sprinkle with cinnamon and/or turmeric.
Recipe from Andrea Nakayama at http://www.replenishpdx.com/