Read about the benefits of collagen proteins for your gut and overall health – and find 2 great recipes!
Loving your gut should be a daily responsibility. I’ve talked amazing benefits of probiotics and why they are so important here. But there is so much more to gut health than probiotics!
Collagen proteins are something that I incorporate into my daily diet. They are a wonderful source of gut-healing amino acids, which are so important for … well, basically everything, since gut health determines so much about our overall health. Read more about gut health.
Collagen is loaded with amino acids, which are the building blocks for health. It is also helpful for thickening the intestinal mucosa (thin gut lining contributes to thyroid and adrenal disorders) and provides about 18 grams of very easy-to-use protein, which is satiating and boosts metabolism. This protein also improves the health of our connective tissue, which may help to tighten the skin and improve cellulite, boost immunity, improve joint health, support detoxification, energy, and digestion. Really, we should be giving our gut some loving every day—and this is an easy way to do it.
I recommend Vital Proteins, available on the Wellness Shop. They use quality bovine sources to make their powders, with lots of products that are fun to experiment with. However, the main two that I believe they started with are COLLAGEN GELATIN and COLLAGEN PEPTIDES. I’ll tell you the difference between the two and share my favorite recipes using each of these!
- The COLLAGEN GELATIN will thicken when dissolved in liquid, so it’s a great thickener for when you need a roux for soup, or as an egg replacement for things like pudding, panna cotta, or even as a binder in ice cream, cakes, cookies, etc. My personal favorite way to use it is to make gummies like the recipe I’ll post below from PrimalPalate.com
- The COLLAGEN PEPTIDES will dissolve in both hot and cold liquid, but doesn’t thicken. As a result, it serves as a tasteless protein boost for pretty much anything – salad dressings, eggs, soups, smoothies, yogurt, almond butter, coffee… my all-time favorite recipe is the adrenal healing creamsicle from thewholejourney.com
Gut Healing Gummies (from http://www.primalpalate.com/)
× 2/3 cup Lemon Juice, organic
× 1 cup Blueberries, fresh and organic
× 4 Tbsp Vital Proteins Unflavored Gelatin
Place lemon juice and blueberries into a heavy saucepan, and heat over medium heat.
Stir blueberries and allow to cook until the liquid is steaming and the blueberries are plump.
Place lemon juice and blueberries into a high-speed blender, or food processor, and blend until smooth.
Remove the lid, and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
Add 4 tablespoons of Great Lakes Gelatin to the blender, and blend again until smooth.
Pour mixture into candy molds, or a 9×9 glass dish, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
The Adrenal Creamsicle Recipe (from thewholejourney.com)
× 6 oz. OJ (fresh squeezed or cold pressed like Evolution brand)
× 2 Tbsp. Pasture Raised Collagen
× ¼ to ½ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
Blend it up into a delicious creamsicle, shake it up in a blender bottle, or pour into Popsicle molds and freeze… I personally put mine in a wine glass and enjoy it after dinner as a dessert!
Benefits of the Adrenal Creamsicle:
- Fresh squeezed orange juice is high in folate to support adrenal-fatigue-induced depression. It also provides the liver with the glucose it needs to regenerate while giving quick carbs to the thyroid so it can better work to regulate metabolism (like adding coal to the furnace).
- Pasture-raised raw cream provides the essential immune-boosting, brain supporting fat that will also slow the release of glucose in the OJ enough to provide balanced blood sugar. It also contains a calming peptide, which helps quell anxiety.
- Himalayan pink salt contains all 84 essential trace minerals that the adrenals and nervous system need to function properly. It is also alkaline-forming, so it helps support the body’s natural detoxification process.
- This drink contains the perfect ratio of fat, carbs, and protein (MACRO-trio, anyone??) to balance blood sugar and thereby assist in proper metabolism, adrenal, and thyroid function. If you’re new to the MACRO-trio concept, please read my blog series starting with this post http://modaycenter.com/philadelphia-weight-loss/)